June 14, 2012

Mathis Monninghoff to go Pro

According to Jim Meehan of the Spokesman Review, Mathis Monninghoff will not return to the Zags next season and instead sign a professional contract to play in his native Germany.

Its likely that his recent play during the U20 tourney helped him receive some offers. Ultimately he was not destined to get many minutes over the latter half of his career at GU and he made a good decision for himself and his family. Best of luck to the Hoff, its too bad we never got to see your full potential.

2 comments:

Woohoo said...

Was NOT expecting this.

Ya know, I am starting to wonder if recruiting SO heavily in Europe and overseas is worth it. We have hit the jack pot a few times, but we have also struck out big time about 6-7 times!! And....maybe it's not so much that GONZAGA/COACHING STAFF has struck out, but the PLAYER struck out and didn't live up to our expectations....but I also think that some of these kids overseas don't have the same loyalty/long-term goals/aspirations as some US kids? I don't know.

Either way, good luck to the Hoff.

batbird said...

I think that maybe he wasn't ready for the speed and physicality of Division 1 basketball.

I enjoyed watching him launch the 3, but lately he had trouble finding the hoop. I noticed that when he went up for the shot he didn't jump straight up, he drifted to the side. I replayed one of his shots a few times. Maybe his problem was in fundamentals.

Anyway, thanks for the memories, Mathis. I think he has made a good decision for himself. I wish him the best of luck.