July 6, 2012

Zags going Under the Radar for Recruits?

 

It has been a very busy off season for the Zags. We have had the transfers of Mathis Keita, Mathis Monninghoff, and Ryan Spangler. There was the landing of Przemek Karnowski, the transfer of Drew Barham from Memphis, the transfer of Gerard Coleman from Providence, and Rob Sacre getting drafted by the LA Lakers. Exciting news indeed for the off season, or what is usually considered the slow time.

And, even though it is all very exciting, I am a bit confused about the other news, the puzzling signings of two relative unknowns, Ryan Edwards and Lucus Meikle. Granted, we had several open scollys to give and we need to fill the roster spots but we know very little about them and they seem to have come out of nowhere. For a GU program presumably still on the rise, I would think it should be easier to draw recruits and negate the need for such recruiting.

However, in this article from NBC Sports they have been called potential "diamonds in the rough." Read here: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/04/gonzaga-takes-unconventional-route-to-first-two-13-recruits/

I agree with the rough part all right, but diamonds?  Are we really becoming masterful at finding diamonds in the rough? Usually, finding diamonds in the rough involves some luck. I would prefer to be better at recruiting and less lucky.

Until such polishing, and because of the recent slew of transfers and what feels like reaches in recruiting, I will remain a bit unconvinced that the master plan for recruiting at GU is in reality anything but masterful. Time will tell.







5 comments:

Gonzagapride said...

In my opinion these are the types of players that make GU basketball. With few exceptions we don't get top tier recruits. Hopefully the coaching staff see some real promise with these young men and they will surprise us.

Unknown said...

In agreement with you that the Zags have made a living on these "types of players" but, we should not have to anymore.

A rising program should bring with it rising recruitments. And, we shouldn't have to earn a living uncovering "diamonds in the rough."

I would like to break free of this perpetual need because so far it has not garnered Gonzaga any Final 4s.

It is time for the next step, otherwise, we can stagnate and who knows, maybe a team like St. Mary's could finally overtake us?...er, wait a min., didn't they beat us 2 out of three last year? OMG....

Gonzagapride said...

I hear you and I want a Final Four, or better yet a Championship as much as the next guy. However the timing for recruits has to work out as well.

Our chances of getting Matthews or Harris is small. They may be concerned that if Pangos and Bell explode like we think they can for the next two or three years, a guard recruit would be delegated to being a back-up for their first two years. Why would they want to chance that?

Same with the SF or PF position. Chances are better there with Landry and E leaving but we have Coleman and an already committed recruit with Meilke. If I was these recruits I would probably be looking elsewhere where I could have the chance of playing sooner.

I hope I am way off base and we get these recruits but for now I happy we are filling spots.

kg said...

It's hard to be mid major, and this is one of the reasons. Teams like Kansas or UNC can just restock with 5 star talent because kids already want to go there before Bill Self walks in the door. To me, this is the kind of thing that they never really need to do: recruit an under the radar guy a year or two in advance.

All that said, I love these signings. Both players look like they could be valuable players (especially Edwards) and locking them down now will make it easier to fight off the attention of latecomers next year. When Kyle Wiltjer decided to go to Kentucky I'm sure Few was wishing that he had started talking to him earlier (not that he messed up, it's hard to get 5 start guys).

Also, can we talk about how being recruited and signed by Gonzaga is a big deal now? It's kind of like the "notre dame bump" that we see in college football: Because we got them to sign at GU people assume that they are "hidden gems" and all of a sudden they are newsworthy. That's a positive sign, right?

Unknown said...

Not trying to be completely negative, ok, yes I was, lol.

I too have noticed that when we grab someone out of nowhere it seems like schools, and the media as well, take notice and start wondering if we got a steal. We must have, because they are going to Gonzaga, right?

I do love that part of it. Like when UK and I think Dookies came running in late trying to get a peek at Prez, while I started to panic at the thought of losing him, I also very much enjoyed that they were too late.

Oh, Few was on Wiltjer waaaay early. I believe he was the first one on him. Losing him to UK hurt. But, now looking back at it, maybe KW was not what we would have hoped for.

Back to my pain meds....I hate dentists, groooooooooooan.