August 29, 2013

Guess the 2014 Gonzaga Recruiting Class: Win $100.00 from Gaz!

*Editor's Note: Just realized I need to put a deadline on the contest. Let's go with 20 days from the start of the contest, or the next commitment, whichever comes first. Still time to get your selections in and win that C note!
Dear readers,

If you've been following this site, you know that we have surprise contests from time to time. Well, it's that time again!

Just now getting my feet back under me after an extended vacation (one month). I was without cell phone service as well as Internet during this time and feel out of the loop. It is amazing how isolated one feels when your only source of communication is smoke signals!

But I am back, rested, relaxed, and ready for the season to get here. To get the ball rolling I thought we'd have a little contest. I will give $100.00 to the first person who can accurately pick the 2014 Gonzaga recruiting class.

So far the 2014 class consists of Kentucky Transfer Kyle Wiltjer, Silas Melson, and now Josh Perkins. I heard the fantastic news when I arrived home, (a BIG shout out the the Gonzaga coaches for securing his commitment, and welcome to Gonzaga Josh!).

Depending on how things shake out, there are at least two more slots that can be added for 2014. Will we land Reid Travis, Namon Wright? Or perhaps a foreign player such as, Domantas Sabonis?

How it works: The first person in comments who accurately predicts the complete 2014 recruiting class will win $100.00 cash.

If you guess correctly and win, I will need your contact info. I will mail to you free of charge (via certified mail) a money order for $100.00. Everyone is eligible to participate except the owners of this site (that would be me and Josh). Please, only one guess per person.

Best of luck to everyone, and best of luck to the Zag coaches as they continue to work their magic. It's going to be a very important class and so far they have done a terrific job.

Can't wait to read your selections, Gaz.

GO ZAGS!!~

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

2014 Class:
Kyle Wiltjer
Silas Melson
Josh Perkins
Namon Wright

Unknown said...

Kyle Wiltjer
Silas Melson
Josh Perkins
Reid Travis
Trey Kell

#1ZAGS said...

Wiltjer
Melson
Perkins
Wright
Sabonis

kg said...

Wiljter
Perkins
Melson

aaaaand

Sabonis
Pope

That would probably be a legendary class, rankings wise.

Call_me_Coach said...

Wiltjer Melson Perkins
AND:
Trey Kell
Namon Wright
Domantas Sabonis

(Wright or Sabonis commits late, as someone transfers out)

Trufflshuffl said...

Who they will get:
Wiltjer Melson Perkins
AND:
Wright
Travis

Wish List:
But I really, really, really hope they land Pope!!!!

Backcountry14 said...

Wiltjer
Melson
Perkins
Wright
Pope

quidveritas said...

Wiltjer, Melson, and Perkins. That's a gimmie.

I do think Sabois would flourish at GU but . . . Oregon has a better facility and it appears he has connections there so .. . Sabonis may be a long shot.

As for the others . . . they would all be nice. I just don't think any of them will be going to GU. I really really think Dranginis will be playing 3 for a long time. He's a much better player than most credit him and he will continue to develop (and maybe grow an inch or two). Don't forget he is as good a passer as anyone on the team. He doesn't need to score a lot to be very important to the overall success.

So I'll stand pat with the three O I mentioned initially . . . for 2014.

mjc

Anonymous said...

2014 Class will get:

Besides 1) Wiltjer, Melson, Perkins,

they will also land:

Reid Travis, Sabonis, and they will get a preferred walk on spot for Namone Wright

Unknown said...

I'd add MY choices because I already know exactly what's going to happen(riiiiiight)but I don't want to give the answers away.

Lot's more potential scenarios available. Get your selections in. That C note is burning a hole in my pocket and I need to give it away before I spend it, lol!

Perkins, Melson, and Wiltjer.....my oh my, what a class so far, who's next??

quidveritas said...

Well looks like Pope may not even be in the mix for 2014. This guy has to be the unluckiest person in basketball or there is some seriously bad Mojo following him around.

mjc

Unknown said...

Imo, this is an excellent time for the Gonzaga staff to show Malik they actually care and break away from the pack. While others may back off, we need to show him we believe in him and that he is the man.

I do understand there may be some questions regarding his durability though, as he has broken the same leg twice, but I would bet it's a fluke. Landing Malik could be the best commit we ever had.

He'll probably be healed up fine and be ready to go for 2014. Heck, if he had to take a redshirt, that would be fine too.

quidveritas said...

Just speculating here but . . .

Breaking a tibia running lines???

Could be steroid use; could be cancer; could be genetic; or . . . well I can't think of anything else.

Once is a fluke. Twice is not a coincidence.

JMO

Unknown said...

Or....Could it also be that the bone was not fully healed yet? Maybe it was not set properly?

I broke my arm TWICE in the same place within one year. Never used steroids, nothing genetic, cancer free. I still do not know exactly why it happened buy it did. The second time it broke I simply fell and braced my fall....I thought, no big deal. Yet it broke.

I hope to heck it's simply a fluke in Malik's case....but I do see your point.

Also, strength training will help you build more solid bones. Maybe he just needs to get stronger.

Matt said...

Once is a fluke. Twice is not a coincidence.

Breaking your leg Running drills is a fluke.

Coming down wrong after a dunk and re-breaking a bone that has recently healed and is still probably active in the growth plates, totally reasonable without the unnecessary comments about steroids, cancer or genetics.

as for the post:

the currently committed:
Melson, Wiltjer and Perkins...btw would be a hell of a class on it's own!

I think GU manages to get Malik Pope as KU backs off....but just loses out on Reid Travis as he gets duped by Duke....I really hope not but I fear it will happen...


IMO makes little sense for Namon Wright, Trey Kell or Dorian Pickens to come to a school that already has a TON of very talented guards....though they may get DJ Wilson....

quidveritas said...

You may be right about the bone not being fully healed but . . . 8-12 weeks is more than enough time for this to happen. When the bone heals it is actually stronger (a callous forms along the line of the break) then it was before the injury.

This second incident appears (to me anyway) to be far outside the 12 week window.

As for strength? This guy is a physical freak. His conditioning before the break can only be described as exceptional.

If he has a non-union problem that is bigger than a huge problem. Sometimes those things never heal.

Anonymous said...

Wiltjer
Melson
Perkins
Sabonis
Alberts


gimme the loot gimme the loot

Unknown said...

LOL, nice try. But you know there was a deadline on the answers.